bananananas

Books & Bananas

I love reading and eating fruit of all kinds.

The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was an easy read, but it just seemed like it would NEVER END. The sentence structure was overly-simple, it seemed to me. Ken Follett does a lot of telling instead of showing and it seems like he doesn't really try hard to make his sentences complex or descriptive. In fact, he had a very scientific way of describing events and especially the construction of the cathedral. To be honest, it seemed like the voice I might write in based on my scientific background.

It also seemed like Ken Follett made this book go on and on and on. I realize that it took many, many years during this time period to build a structure so massive, and it was fine with me that he showed just how many years the construction spanned. My problem was that the author just wanted to have everything possible go bad. If the characters seemed at all happy for a couple of pages, as the reader I knew that something bad was about to happen. So in this sense, having this book written as an epic with many characters and their storylines just seemed to drag on. I could have done either with more complex, less cookie-cutter stories, or with a shorter novel. I don't know. I'm glad the storylines were all wrapped up, but I don't think I'll be reading this author again very soon.