bananananas

Books & Bananas

I love reading and eating fruit of all kinds.

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1)

Magic Bites - Ilona Andrews

I really wanted to like this book. I'm a huge fan of Patricia Briggs' work on the Mercedes Thompson series and of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. I've heard a lot about how this series is right up there in terms of quality and a lot of people have recommended Ilona Andrews to me.

My main issue was that the narrator was just telling us what happened. Kate Daniels doesn't really let us know what's behind her thought processes or how she's feeling. We don't see how she copes with the loss of her guardian. All she does is decide that she wants to investigate his death but she doesn't seem to really touch upon how she's grieving.

Kate also doesn't seem to connect to the people around her. We read about how bad she feels that she's dragging people into her business and possibly getting them hurt, but we don't really feel what she's feeling. Maybe that's the point that Ilona Andrews was trying to make. Kate just tells it as it is and doesn't dwell on feelings too much due to her line of work. However, I would have preferred more insight into the character.

Will I read the rest of this series? Probably. I find it hard to leave a story unfinished, and as long as Ilona Andrews continues to write this series I will probably occasionally tune in to see what happens. It's also entirely possible that the world-building got in the way of the character-building and the story, so we'll see how it goes from here.